At a Glance
- 3 bedrooms
- Sleeps 2-4
- Original bread oven
- Set in 20 acres
- Sustainable & dog friendly
- 1 of 5 cottages
- Beaches 5 minute drive
About this Holiday Cottage
One of five charming stone cottages set in 20 acres near Dartmouth, Quack Cottage sleeps 2 to 4 guests and has its own sunny south facing enclosed garden on the riverbank. This Devon Cottage gem has an original old bread oven (ornamental only) in the side of its thick chimney, and outside there is sweet smelling roses, jasmine, wisteria and honeysuckle. Spacious open plan living space is furnished in a traditional style and features a cosy woodburner and exposed beams. All modern comforts include a fully fitted kitchen with a washing machine, and the cottage is dog friendly with a choice of walks direct from your door.
The cottages were once workers' cottages and are set around a historic 18th Century former watermill. The location is idyllic with a splashing trout stream, lawns and trout fishing onsite. Slapton Sands, Start Bay and the South West Coast Path are only a 5 minute drive and famous Blackpool Sands beach is only 10 minutes away. National Nature Reserve Slapton Ley is just on your doorstep.
- Traditional 'chocolate box' cottage - sleeps 2-4.
- Modern fully fitted kitchen extension with stable door out to the garden. Tiled flooring and appliances including a fridge, an electric oven and hob, a kettle, washing machine, a toaster and a microwave. A separate undercounter freezer is also available.
- Open plan beamed lounge/dining area with woodburner and cosy rugs on the tiled floor.
Bedrooms / Bathrooms
- Upstairs double bedroom and single bedroom, both south facing with views of the garden, river and lawns.
- Bathroom with a bath, shower, wash basin and wc.
- Downstairs spacious single bedroom with private wash basin.
The large riverside garden is the perfect space to relax with flowering shrubs on the banks, a picnic bench and a pretty herbaceous border just under the sitting room window. Deckchairs are also available to use - ideal for lounging and admiring the South Devon sunrises and sunsets!
Other Things to Note
- Note - Quack Cottage has an open-stair bannister so is unsuitable for mobile children under 5 years.
- Owners Christine and John live on site in the mill house - they grow their own vegetables, supplies of which are available for guests.
- A recycling area is on site and all cottages have Ecover cleaning products and organic liquid handsoap.
- We generate our own electricity using a water turbine which supplies the house and office.
- The cottage is ideal for well behaved dogs with its fenced garden and great location featuring scenic walks on site and dog friendly beaches nearby. Dogs love running around on the shared lawns, in the stream and in our 'Robin Hood land' situated just down the valley (children adore this area too!).
- Cots and highchairs are available free on request.
- Books, games, radios and guides are all available.
- The cottage is a real retreat with no TV or mobile reception.
Cottages are available all year round. Fixed price short breaks (minimum 3 night stays) are also offered (except during school holidays) - please contact us direct for details. Short break prices are based on 2 people staying for a 3 night break. Additional people are charged at £15 per night.
Changeover day for weekly bookings is a Friday.
Our five cottages sleeping 2 to 7 are available to book individually or together for larger groups of up to 23 guests, perfect for walking and activity groups, family gatherings, nature groups, photography groups and more.
Well trained dogs, cats, horses and other pets may be permitted by arrangement - please call us direct to discuss. Dogs are charged at £25 per dog per stay.
Around and About
Our beautiful 20 acres is a fabulous location rich in wildlife. Go fishing for brown trout in the onsite stream and look out for our regular wildlife visitors including badgers, owls and a variety of wood and wetland birds visible from your cottage window.
The location offers ample space for kids to run around and explore the surrounding valley with woodlands, wetlands, meadows and the great Gara brook a favourite for paddling.
A host of coast and country walks surround you and nearby Slapton Sands beach is dog friendly all year round. Dartmouth is just 6 miles away, Kingsbridge 8 miles and Totnes 11 miles.
- Watermill Cottages sit just 3 miles inland from the coastal village of Slapton in The South Hams Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, midway between Dartmouth and Kingsbridge.
- To find us head along the M5 to Exeter, and take the A38 for Plymouth. After the Ashburton turn-offs, look out for the A384 signed for Totnes. Take a left off the dual carriageway. On the approach to Totnes, at the lights take a right onto the A381 heading to Kingsbridge.
- Carry on through the villages of Harbertonford and Halwell. When you reach the BP garage at Halwell continue on the road round to the right heading towards Kingsbridge. Around 1 mile after the garage take a left for Slapton/ East Allington/ The Tower inn.
- Continue driving for around 4 miles on this road known as Five Mile Lane (note this road is narrow in parts with passing places). Signposts at crossroads are vertical. At Buckland Cross take a left signed for Gara Mill.
- After 500 yards at a T-junction with a house called Merrifield on your left. You've arrived at Merrifield Cross. Continue straight on this lane marked 'Farms only' at the junction sign. (note this is a narrow lane).
- Continue along this lane for around 1 1/2 miles, passing Hansel Cottage. Follow a sharp left bend and continue down to the river.
- The end of the lane is very rural - keep going straight ahead and you will see a Mill House and river.