At a Glance
- 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms
- 5 Star accommodation
- 600 year old fortified dwelling
- Close to Hadrian's Wall
- Sleeps 8
- Set on a 500 acre farm
About this Luxury Cottage
A unique 5 Star property close to Hadrian's Wall, luxury West Nichold Cottage sits within a 500 acre Wardrew farm near the pretty village of Gilsland. A perfect gateway into the Northumberland National Park, this 600 year old property has unrivalled views of Hadrian's Wall, the Lake District fells, and even far-reaching views towardss Scotland. It also provides the perfect base for walking to Hadrian's Wall and the Roman forts situated just minutes away. Quiet roads and rolling countryside make it easy for you to get the most out of this peaceful part of Northumberland.
West Nichold dates back to the 1600s where it started life as a fortified dwelling in a typical bastle style. Since then it has been painstakingly restored and converted. Many of the original features have been retained, such as gnarled oak beams, arrow slit windows, sark boarded ceilings and haylot steps.
- The cottage features a stunning lounge with a maple and beamed ceiling, and an arched picture window that really lets you soak in the amazing views.
- The open plan kitchen and dining area contains an electric cooker and hob, dishwasher, microwave and fridge freezer.
- A washing machine, dryer and drying space are available in a utility room.
- Beautiful antique and country pine furnishings are throughout.
- Cosy underfloor heating is across the kitchen, living and dining areas.
Bedrooms / Bathrooms
- 3 double en-suite bedrooms and 1 twin bedroom accommodating upto 8 guests.
- Stylish main family bathroom.
- Spacious downstairs wetroom with underfloor heating.
The property has a superb patio area with a pretty enclosed alpine garden. Ample parking is onsite.
- Full central heating and electric included in booking.
- Colour Freeview TV, DVD player, CD/ radio.
- Highchair and travel cot available.
- Bed linen and towels provided.
- Sorry no pets please, and the property is non-smoking throughout.
Walkers & Cyclists Welcome
Walkers and cyclists are incredibly welcome and facilities include:
- Drying room.
- Secure cycle storage.
- Pressure washer.
- Emergency cycle and puncture repair kit.
- First aid kit.
- Maps and books.
The cottage is open all year with short breaks and weekly/ long stays all available. Changeover day for weekly bookings is a Saturday.
Arrival is from 4pm (early arrival time is by prior arrangement only). Departure is by 10am.
Around and About
- The cottage is perfect for year round walking and cycling getaways - spectacular walks including the Hadrian's Wall Path are just nearby.
- Choose from a range of local activities including fishing, birdwatching and golf.
- Gilsland is the perfect gateway into Cumbria, Northumberland and the North Pennines AONB.
- You're in some of England's best stargazing country here in Kielder Forest Park with an observatory running regular stargazing events.
- Slack House Farm Shop and Cafe - the home of Birdoswald Cheese Dairy.
- House of Meg Tea Room in Gilsland
- Gelt Woods
- Cragside House
- Vindolanda, Birdoswald and Housesteads Roman sites along Hadrian's Wall.
- Higham Hall and Wallington Hall