At a Glance
- Unique lifestyle hotel
- 40 rooms & suites
- Stunning lake views
- Spa/leisure facilities
- Free WiFi
- Terrace & lakeside fire pit
- Swim club/ Outdoor adventure
- Set in 18 acres
- Licensed wedding spaces
About this Hotel
Opening on 1 August 2017 and the first of the exclusive Another Place Hotel group - The Lake is a unique lifestyle hotel set within 18 acres on the shores of Lake Ullswater. The ultimate relaxing retreat and perfect for exploring the great outdoors, the hotel features a selection of 40 rooms including spacious family suites and dog friendly rooms. Spa leisure facilities include a stunning indoor pool with lake views, a range of treatments, a sauna, hot tub and a cardio room.
Enjoy outdoor adventure activities during your stay with instructors on hand to assist. Activities include swimming, cycling, sailing, walking and stand-up paddle boarding. Outstanding locally sourced food and drink is served in living areas across the hotel including on the terrace during warmer summer months. The Lake is also a superb venue for a variety of gatherings including weddings with licensed spaces available, celebrations, corporate events and seasonal get-togethers.
Rooms, Suites & Cottages
Most rooms have spectacular views of Ullswater and the surrounding fells so you'll always be conscious of your lakeside location. Rooms situated in the original building have charming antique furnishings and throughout the interior are vintage touches, soft contemporary lighting and a soft palette of colours. Our collection of rooms include:-
- Standard - modestly sized rooms sleeping two with double beds situated in the original Georgian building.
- Better - these popular rooms have partial lake views and are located throughout the hotel. Their design is inspired by their rural lakeside environment with rustic touches and herringbone fabrics. Some of these rooms are dog friendly and can be configured as a double or a twin.
- Best - generously sized rooms all with glorious views of the lake and fells. These rooms feature vast vintage mirrors, woven throws, soft cushions and colours evocative of the natural landscape. An extra bed or cot is available on request and one of our Best Rooms is a dog friendly room.
- Suite - these are our most spacious rooms also with stunning views across Ullswater and the fells beyond. Two suites feature a balcony with outdoor seating and all four suites sit within the original building. These large rooms have space for two extra beds or cots, or a mix of the two.
- Better Family Suite - tastefully appointed suites designed with families in mind offering ample space and a separate bunkroom for up to two children. All these suites have a Juliet balcony or a patio with fabulous lake views. Main bedrooms also have space for an extra bed or cot if required.
- Best Family Suite - a perfect blend of classic and contemporary, our Best Family Suites are our most comfortable, all generously sized with separate bunkrooms sleeping up to three children. These suites make optimum use of their upper floor locations featuring Juliet balconies and wonderful vistas. One of our Best Family Suites is also dog friendly.
- Better Family Cottage - a one bedroom cosy cottage sleeping four with views of the lake, featuring open-plan living space and a double sofa bed in the lounge. Dogs are welcome in our Better Family Cottage.
- Best Family Cottage - situated on a bank overlooking the lake, this two bedroom family cottage has a double and a twin bedroom. A cot can be included on request and this cottage is also dog friendly.
Food & Drink
Breakfast is 'open pantry' style, served in the restaurant with options including pastries, freshly squeezed juices, fruit and fresh smoothies, Full English cooked breakfast, omelette or porridge all accompanied by a range of teas, rich hot chocolate and American drip coffee served in old-style enamel coffee pots. Our breakfast speciality are our waffles made of waffle irons with your own favourite combination of toppings.
Exceptional locally sourced cuisine is used by our Lancashire-born head chef Neil Haydock to create British and European flavours, and we have our own vegetable patch and herb garden. Food and drink is served across Living Spaces and in our restaurant where a range of off-the-grid options are available. Guests are welcome to eat outside on the terrace if they wish, and The Living Space features a range of options for lounging, eating and meetings.
- The bar is well stocked with favourites including champagne, wine, cocktails, coffee and perky gins. The bar area has doors out onto the terace, perfect for open-air drinks and gatherings on warm summer days.
- The restaurant with open kitchen and lake views is an informal dining space with three course menu featuring sharing plates and a range of contemporary dishes many with fine regional produce including Herdwick lamb, Morecambe Bay shrimp and Cumberland sausage. Chef's delicious traditional puddings include fruit crumble and rhubarb fool.
- Off the grid lunch on the go is available on request. Our take-away lunches include Chorley cake, cold drinks and a flask of coffee if you're heading out for the day. Picnic hampers packed with fresh food delights are also available on request or why not have a barbecue and gathering around the fire pit by the lake.
Spa/ Leisure Facilities
- 20 metre indoor pool flanked by walls of glass with spectacular views of the lake and a skylight flooding the pool with natural light. Our ultra-violet filters keep the pool low on chlorine.
- Hot tub and sauna.
- Cardio room and treatment rooms.
- Swim Club, yoga weekends and swim clinics.
- Pamper yourself and enjoy a private treatment in our low lit treatment rooms or snugs - either from the menu or made-up freestyle.
- Oak-floored cardio room with a Concept2 rowing machine, SkiErg, two matrix hybrid cross-trainers, a fitness bike and running machines.
- Get active in our spectacular landscape either on the water or in the fells. Try Ullswater Paddleboarding, Wild Running or lake swimming. Sailing, cycling and walking are all available.
Gatherings/ Weddings/ Meetings/ Events
The hotel's lakeside grounds are a perfect social space for a range of events including weddings, parties, private dining and get-togethers. Overlooking Ullswater, we're the ultimate lakeside wedding venue with licensed spaces, exclusive hotel use and marquee available.
Cosy nooks and open spaces also make us perfect for large or small parties and gatherings, with a lakeside fire pit and gin tasting sessions on the terrace available.
Stay with us during one of our local music, food and arts events through the year, all with a great atmosphere. Browse our website and sign up to our newsletter to keep in the know!
Families & Pets
Families are warmly welcomed with our child friendly services including a dedicated kids' space in a secure building within the grounds with separate zones for different age ranges of children. The kids' space is Ofsted-registered and run by experienced qualified staff all with valid DBS checks. Supervised sessions are daily and activities available include games, storytelling, arts and crafts and puppet shows.
Dogs are welcome in The Living Space and terrace, in our two family cottages and in any of our 10 dog friendly rooms. Treats and waterbowls are also available onsite. Up to two dogs are welcome in rooms for an additional cost (£15 per night for the first dog and £5 per night for a second dog). Fell walks are direct from our door and our 18 acres of secluded grounds on the lakeside offer ample space for exercise.
Our nearest station is Penrith with fast links from London Euston - train journey time is around 3 hours. By car we are a mere 10 minutes' drive off the M6, Junction 40. Our nearest airports are Newcastle upon Tyne, Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow.