At a Glance
- Central Lake District locations
About these Holiday Cottages
Choose a country cottage in the heart of the Lake District with Sykes Cottages. Browse a variety of properties in top locations including Windermere, Ambleside, Coniston and Kendal. The Lake District is perfect for walking holidays and relaxing breaks in a spectacular rural setting. Be as active as you like and find your ideal cottage retreat with everything from terraced stone cottages with cosy woodburners to spacious barn conversions and cottages on rural complexes with access to leisure facilities.
Property Information and Key Features
The Central Lake District is a top UK area for character country cottages and a superb selection are available with Sykes. Browse charming converted coach houses and stone cottage gems just a short stroll from the shores of Lake Windermere. Cottage complexes are great for larger family groups, often with access to onsite leisure facilities or opt for a terraced cottage with exposed beams and a cosy woodburner. From luxury lodges to 19th century stone cottages and properties with private jetty, find them with Sykes Cottages. Visit the Sykes Cottages website (link right) to view the complete portfolio of properties. Accommodation choice includes:-
- Coach House 1 - Pullwood Bay (Sleeps 4), near Ambleside - located on the Pullwood Bay Estate, a 10 minute walk from the shores of Lake Windermere with a private beach and jetty. The property is a 2 bedroom semi-detached converted coach house on the road between Ambleside and Hawkshead. A cot, highchair and WiFi are all included, and open plan ground floor living space features an electric woodburner style stove. A shared gravel courtyard with a picnic table is to the rear.
- Priory Ghyll (Sleeps 4), Windermere - a character ground floor terraced cottage just a short walk from the shores of Lake Windermere and only half a mile for Windermere town amenities. WiFi, Freeview TV, a garden and patio are all included and off road parking is onsite.
- Owl Barn (Sleeps 6), Windermere - a spacious 4 bedroom barn conversion with 2 bathrooms. One of four cottages in the pretty hamlet of Heaning, a 7 minute drive from Windermere. The property has a well equipped kitchen and a cosy sitting room. Freeview TV and a shared washer and dryer are available. Bike storage and off road parking for 2 cars are inclusive, and a shared lawned garden with outdoor furniture is to the front.
- Dove Cottage (Sleeps 4), Graythwaite near Hawkshead - a detached stone cottage on the Graythwaite Estate near the shores of Lake Windermere. Guests have access to onsite facilities including a swimming pool, a children's play area, a fitness suite and a fishing lake. The cottage has 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom, a well equipped kitchen with a dishwasher and washing machine and Freeview TV. Off road parking for 2 cars is onsite and this family friendly property has a cot and highchair.
- Pip's Hideaway (Sleeps 2), Selside near Kendal - one of two cosy cottages on a family run farm, this rural hideaway cottage has an open fire and is just 4 miles from Kendal. Living space features a king-size double bedroom, a luxury bathroom and a well equipped kitchen with a dishwasher, washing machine, a microwave, fridge and a freezer. Two TVs with Freeview and WiFi are both available and you'll find ample off road parking and secure bike storage onsite. A lawned garden area is to the front.
Short breaks are often available in cottages including for last minute breaks. Visit the Sykes Cottages website for up-to-date information on availability and pricing for individual properties.
Things to Do & See in the Central Lake District
The Central Lake District area around Windermere, Bowness, Kendal, Ambleside and Hawkshead is the heart of the National Park. This bustling area is packed with a variety of holiday cottages, lakeside lodges and barn conversions perfect for families, couples, walkers and for holidays with pets.
Watersports and boat trips are easily accessed around Lake Windermere and Coniston Water, and spectacular walking in the central fells features in Great Langdale near Ambleside and the Troutbeck Valley around Windermere.
Bustling centres like Bowness and Ambleside are brimming with independent shops, inns, cafes, arts centres and tourist information points.
The historic homes of the poet William Wordsworth including Dove Cottage at Grasmere and Rydal Mount & Gardens near Ambleside are also here in the heart of the Lakes.