At a Glance
- Walking & activity holidays
- Pet & family friendly holidays
About these Holiday Cottages
Sykes Cottages offers an extensive selection of cottages and holiday homes spread across the Lake District National Park and the wider Cumbria area. The Lake District is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts and offers a variety of holiday experiences from bustling centres like Bowness on Windermere and Keswick to remote retreats in the Northern and Western Fells. The region is famed for its superb outdoor activity opportunities which include fell walking, climbing, caving, fishing, horse riding and cycling in forest parks.
The Lake District also has some fabulous family attractions like The World of Beatrix Potter Experience in Bowness and a choice of boat trips on Lake Windermere, Coniston Water and Ullswater. Head out on gentle lakeside strolls or challenging hikes up England's highest peak Scafell Pike. Main centres across the National Park including Windermere and Bowness, Ambleside, Kendal and Keswick are topspots for quirky independent shops and an excellent range of cafes, inns and restaurants.
Property Information and Key Features
Choose from hundreds of stunning Lake District cottages and holiday homes listed with Sykes Cottages. Properties available include character coach house conversions, 19th century terraced cottages, romantic cottage retreats with open fires and spacious farmhouses ideal for large family groups. Visit our website (link right) for our complete portfolio of properties in the area. Cottages include:-
- The Stable Nest, Bowness on Windermere (Sleeps 2) - a character ground floor studio apartment ideal for families and couples, with WiFi and off road parking. The property is a former 19th century stable and is furnished to a high standard, and the location is perfect, only a short stroll from the shores of Lake Windermere and Bowness centre.
- Linden Lea, Brough, Cumbria (Sleeps 4) - a cute semi-detached stone cottage in a quiet spot just off Brough High Street, within easy reach of Kirkby Stephen. This cosy property is ideal for couples and families, featuring a cot and highchair plus an enclosed garden and patio area. Bike storage is also available onsite and facilities include Freeview TV, two bedrooms and a kitchen diner with a microwave, an electric oven and hob and a fridge. On street parking is just 30 yards from the property.
- Honey Cottage, Kirkby Lonsdale (Sleeps 6) - a stunning cottage only a 2 minute stroll from Kirkby Lonsdale centre and a short walk from Ruskin's View. This beautifully appointed period cottage has a fireplace with a woodburner, a spacious dining area and a well equipped kitchen. The terraced garden includes outdoor furniture and two dogs are welcome (dogs will love the riverside walk along the River Lune to Devil's Bridge).
- The Coach House, Kirkoswald near Penrith, Cumbria (Sleeps 4) - a stone built stable block conversion with original beams, an arched window and sandstone walls all retained. This stunning property in the Eden Valley is ideal for exploring the Lakes, Dales and Pennines. The cottage has onsite bike storage space and a drying area. A fitted kitchen includes a dishwasher, a fridge/freezer and an electric oven with a hob. Freeview TV, WiFi, games, DVDs and books are all available. There is an enclosed deck to the rear with an outdoor woodburner and furniture. Off road parking for 2 cars is available.
- Green Hills Farm, Ulverston (Sleeps 8) - a spacious semi-detached cottage perfect for friends sharing or a large family group. A cot and highchair are provided. A ground floor sitting room with a cosy fire and a dining room both offer plenty of space. In the kitchen all essentials include an electric oven and hob, a washing machine, tumble dryer and a dishwasher. A Smart TV with Freeview channels, a DVD and WiFi internet access are all included and you'll find ample off road parking onsite.
Short breaks are available in most cottages including for last minute holidays and short breaks. Browse our website for up-to-date information on availability and pricing for each cottage.
Things to Do & See in the Lake District
- Cumbria and the Lakes is a real outdoor activity playground popular with walkers and cyclists. The region is also a famous literary centre associated with poets, painters and writers including William Wordsworth and John Ruskin.
- Pick up a range of themed boat trips on the region's lakes including Windermere, Ullswater, Coniston Water and Derwent Water. Numerous year round festivals range from mountain and arts festivals to film festivals and even a popular comic festival in Kendal!
- If you're a fan of quirky independent shopping head to the Lakes and great shopping centres including Keswick, Ambleside and Kendal's Wynds and alleyways.
- The main centres also include some acclaimed arts centres like Keswick's Theatre By The Lake, Ambleside's Zeffirellis restaurant and cinema and Kendal's hub festival and events centre - The Brewery.
- An emphasis on local produce is strong in the region with many towns and villages hosting weekly (and even daily) markets.
- Discover hidden gems on the Cumbria Coast such as Roman ruins, a steam railway and haunted Muncaster Castle around Ravenglass.
- Stunning areas in Cumbria include The Lakeland Peninsula containing great centres like Grange-over-Sands with its character tea rooms and beautiful views of Morecambe Bay and quirky Ulverston home to the Laurel & Hardy Museum.
- Other fantastic Cumbria areas to explore include the gentle Eden Valley around Penrith, historic Carlisle and Hadrian's Wall Country.