At a Glance
- Pet friendly cottages sleep 2-20
- Top walking holiday with dogs
About these Pet Friendly Lake District Cottages
Lake District walking holidays with dogs are hard to beat, and a wide range of pet friendly cottages in and around the National Park are available from Sykes Cottages. Spectacular fell walks are direct from your cottage door - the Lake District has miles of public rights of way and is one of Britain's top choices for pet friendly holidays and short breaks.
Numerous attractions from lake cruises to slate mine tours and heritage railways welcome dogs and you'll find a host of pet friendly inns and cafes in the region. Take your pick from challenging hikes to gentle lakeside strolls with furry friends. The Lake District has some great forest areas too like Grizedale near Hawkshead and Whinlatter Forest Park near Keswick, both top spots for walking with dogs.
Property Information and Key Features
Treat your pooch to a short break or holiday in a Lake District cottage and choose from a wide range of pet friendly Sykes properties. Base yourself in a real rural retreat and book a dog friendly cottage in popular walking spots like Newlands near Keswick, the Langdale Fells near Ambleside or the Coniston Fells around Coniston Water. Many pet friendly cottages include enclosed gardens, cosy woodburners, pretty walks from your door and often a pet friendly pub nearby. Visit our website (link right) to browse our full portfolio of dog friendly cottages in the Lake District. A selection include:-
- Bramble Cottage near Keswick (Sleeps 5) - a mid-terrace 3 bed cottage with all ground floor accommodation, situated on the edge of Thornthwaite village only 4 miles (10 minutes) from Keswick. Bassenthwaite Lake is nearby and this great pet friendly cottage is surrounded by stunning scenery. Whinlatter Forest, Derwentwater, Newlands and the Borrowdale Valley are all on your doorstep. One well trained pet is welcome. Off road parking, WiFi and Freeview TV are all inclusive.
- Hillrise Barn near Cartmel and Grange-over-Sands (Sleeps 2) - a semi-detached barn conversion in Flookburgh village on the Lakeland Peninsula, ideal for couples or a small family group (and your pet too!). Beautifully presented with a loft-style double bedroom, a gas fire and fitted kitchen/ dining area. A cosy furnished patio area is just outside. One well trained dog is welcome and WiFi, a cot and highchair, Freeview TV and a kitchen with a washer/dryer are all included.
- 3 Low House Cottages in Coniston near Hawkshead (Sleeps 6) - a 3 bedroom contemporary terraced cottage featuring a sitting room with an open fire. Superb walking opportunities are direct from your door including around Coniston Old Man. One well trained pet is welcome, and modern amenities include Freeview TVs, WiFi and a fully fitted kitchen with a dishwasher and a washing machine.
- The Old Laundry in Clappersgate near Ambleside (Sleeps 4) - a character all ground floor courtyard cottage, semi detached and only 1 mile from bustling Ambleside in the heart of the Lakes. Brimming with charming features, this cottage has two ensuite bedrooms, and both ensuite wet rooms include cosy underfloor heating. Active pooches will love the path up to Loughrigg Fell just behind the cottage and a shared lawned garden with outdoor furniture is just across the main road. Two well behaved dogs are welcome.
- Stonethwaite Cottage near Rosthwaite (Sleeps 7) - this cottage gem sits in the shadow of Scafell Pike, England's highest peak and is along the route of the Coast to Coast Path and the Cumbrian Way. Ideal for families, this cottage is surrounded by spectacular scenery on all sides and includes a cosy sitting room with an open fire plus 4 bedrooms (1 has an en-suite). A garden with a bench, bike storage, off road parking, a cot and highchair are all included. One well behaved pet is welcome.
- Low Arnside in Coniston near Hawkshead (Sleeps 6) - a delightful 17th century detached farmhouse situated on a National Trust hill farm, only 4 miles from Coniston and just over 2 miles from Elterwater village. The cottage has character low beams, ceilings and doorways and a gentle walk from your cottage sees you at Tarn Hows (a favourite spot with Beatrix Potter). One well trained dog is welcome and off road parking, an enclosed front garden with outdoor furniture and a BBQ plus a cot and highchair are all available.
Short breaks are often available including for last minute breaks. Dogs are often welcome free - visit our website to confirm booking details for each individual pet friendly property.
Walking & Pet Friendly Things to Do
Dogs adore the Lake District with is magnificent scenery and walking opportunities ranging from challenging fell hikes to gentle lakeside strolls and forest adventures. Active dogs will love the challenging Northern and Western Fells and you'll find a wide range of pet friendly rural retreats here. Alternatively choose a cottage in the South Lakes or around the Peninsula and explore the gentle valleys and Morecambe Bay.
Popular lake cruise operators on Lake Windermere and Coniston Water are pet friendly and attractions including Holker Hall near Cartmel, Mirehouse & Gardens by Bassenthwaite Lake, the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway and Brockhole Visitor Centre on the shores of Lake Windermere all welcome pets.
Cumbria really is one of the UK's most pet friendly regions with a wide choice of dog friendly cottages, cafes, inns and attractions.