At a Glance
- Five cottages - Sleep 2, 4 & 5
- Set in 7 acres
- Summer house
- Dog exercise field
- Jurassic Coast 8 miles
- Friday changeover
- Short breaks
- Laundry/resource room
- River Cottage Canteen nearby
About Lea Hill Country Cottages
For 2018 we are launching a new concept - "Affordable Cottages". As well as our all-inclusive holiday cottages, we are marketing two popular cottages, Nuthatch and Woodpecker, as “Affordable Holidays” at a bargain price. Find details on our website.
Lea Hill Country Cottages in the Membury area just north of Axminster are a selection of six classic Devon cottages and apartments created from heritage barn conversions and an ancient farmhouse. Set within 7 acres of stunning shared gardens and grounds, and surrounded by beautiful countryside in Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, cottages are pet friendly. Each has is own pretty garden, well equipped kitchen and a charm and character all its own.
One cottage has three bedrooms, three cottages have two bedrooms offering ample space for family groups, and one has one bedroom perfect for couples or friends sharing. Most bedrooms are en-suite. Facilities onsite include a summerhouse and barbeque on a terrace area accessible to all guests.
Kingfisher Cottage - Sleeps 4+1
- Kingfisher is a 'chocolate box' thatched apartment with a real 'home from home' feel.
- The property was created from our beautiful old thatched barn and retains many of its character period features.
- The living room is on the first floor and has wonderful views across a hidden valley and our large gardens.
- A small bedroom for a child adjoins the lounge.
- A light and airy double bedroom has a generous bathroom with a bath and shower over.
- Downstairs is a further en-suite bedroom with zip and link beds which can be a twin or king-size as preferred. Outside there is a charming front terrace area, and to the rear is a small garden. Both have seating.
- A cot is available if required.
Quakers Annexe - Sleeps 4
- Quakers Annexe is a delightful thatched property - part of the wing of the main house.
- On the ground floor is a charming lounge with a cast iron mock woodburning stove, an exposed stone wall and a pretty outlook to the gardens and valley beyond.
- An attractive kitchen diner is quarry-tiled with solid beech worktops and a table.
- A feature French door leads out into your own private garden space with outdoor furniture.
- The parking area is nearby.
- To the first floor, living space includes a large landing with a stunning ancient oak screen.
- The landing leads into a wonderful double bedroom and en-suite shower room.
- Bedroom two is flexible with two 3 foot twin beds (zip and link), configured as a super king 6 foot double bedroom if preferred.
- The bedroom has ample space with wall beams, a stripped pine floor and great views across to the gardens and terrace.
- An en-suite to the second bedroom has a super large bath with power shower over.
Wagtail Cottage - Sleeps 4
- Wagtail is a favourite with families, couples and dog owners.
- Pretty French windows lead out to a terrace and enclosed, sheltered garden.
- A living and kitchen area is open plan.
- Facilities include an electric woodburner.
- The kitchenette has limed oak cupboards.
- Separate dining room and separate utility room with a washing machine and wc.
- Bathroom containing a bath with shower over, wash basin and wc.
Nuthatch Cottage - Sleeps 4+2
- Light and airy with a great feeling of space and pretty rural views.
- Enclosed sheltered garden.
- Two attractive double bedrooms - both with spacious en-suite bathrooms.
- Downstairs living space includes a large dining room with an antique table and dresser.
- The dining room has access out to the enclosed garden.
- Comfortably furnished sitting room with views of the valley.
- A well equipped kitchen and a ground floor cloakroom.
- A downstairs sofa bed will sleep two extra guests for an additional charge.
Woodpecker Cottage - Sleeps 2
- A romantic retreat for two with quarry-tiling downstairs.
- Open plan living space includes a beamed living room, kitchenette with a dishwasher and a bathroom with bath and power shower over.
- French doors lead out to a pretty sheltered garden from the living room.
- Upstairs there is a charming beamed double bedroom.
Other Things to Note
- All cottages have pretty gardens.
- Guests have open access to the 7 acres of shared grounds and gardens.
- Shared BBQ and Summerhouse.
- Dogs welcome - a choice of walks are direct from your cottage door and there is a dog exercise field onsite.
- WiFi internet access is available and cottages have DVD players.
- Electric and central heating (radiators and electric spot heaters) is included.
- A Resource/ laundry room is onsite with lots of local information and guides, and a tumble dryer.
- Towels, tea towels and bed linen are all inclusive. We also provide starter essentials such as cleaning materials and toiletries.
- All cottages have DVD players.
Enjoy Greener holidays at Lea Hill Country Cottages - we're a Green Tourism Silver Award-winner - find out more about our wealth of Green policies on our website including renewable home-grown wood fuel in two of our properties, eco-friendly cleaning products and water saving showers and wcs. We also have our own spring water supply!
Lea Hill is perfect for holidays with dogs. An exercise field is within the grounds and there are numerous scenic country walks direct from your cottage/ apartment door into Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty! Two particular footpaths from Lea Hill are great for dog walks. One heads towards the Church at the back and along the valley towards Membury village. The other heads down steps and affords wonderful views of Hill Common, then on through Yarty Copse which is covered in Bluebells in spring.
Changeover day for weekly bookings is usually a Friday, and arrival is usually after 3pm, departure by 10am. Short breaks (minimum 3 night bookings) are available.
Local Producers, Activities & Attractions
- Our 'Greener Holiday' experience includes a wide choice of local activities available which don't involve miles of travel. Browse our 'green' file for inspiration on places to visit within a 10 mile radius.
- Outstanding local producers and farm shops sit close to the cottages including Millers Farm Shop and our local butchers - Complete Meats which stocks award-winning sausages and tempting pies and pastries.
- Book a traditional arts and craft course at The Old Kennels.
- Axminster is within easy reach, famously home to River Cottage canteen and shop. The town also hosts a weekly country market.
- Membury sits within the Blackdown Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, around 5 miles from East Devon and Dorset ANOBs. Spectacular countryside offering a wide choice of walking and outdoor activity opportunities surround us!
- The Devon and Dorset Jurassic Coast is also within easy reach.
- Lyme Regis and fossil finding (around Charmouth) on the heritage coast are just 9 miles to the South. Seaton with its new attraction "SEATON JURASSIC" is 11 miles.