At a Glance
- 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
- Sleeps 2-4
- Beach 3 miles
- Sustainable & pet friendly
- Dartmouth 8 miles
- Set in 20 acres
- Fishing available
About this Holiday Cottage
Pretty Rose Cottage is a charming two bedroom cottage between Dartmouth and Kingsbridge, 1 of 5 properties set within 20 acres at Watermill Cottages. Pets are welcome and the cottage has its own spacious outdoor deck with fabulous views of the river and valley beyond. Just above the raised banks of the deck is an attractive lawn and sloping flower and shrub bank behind the lawn. All this area is fully fenced and ideal for dogs and children to run free. Inside Rose Cottage has cosy woodburning stoves, a fully fitted kitchen with a washing machine and two bathrooms. A perfect year round romantic retreat, there are walks from your door and Slapton Sands beach is only a few minutes' drive away.
- Elevated sunny cottage with bright and cosy living space - sleeps 2-4.
- Views from the double bedroom look towards nearby Quack Cottage's garden, the shared lawns and the stream.
- Comfortable living room with soft easy chairs and a plentiful supply of books in the bookcase.
- Woodburning stoves and wooden window seats with elm panelling make this cottage extra cosy and welcoming.
- Bright modern fully fitted kitchen with a microwave, kettle, an electric cooker, a toaster, fridge freezer and a washing machine.
Bedrooms / Bathrooms
- Two upstairs bedrooms - 1 upstairs double with an en-suite bathroom and 1 twin with an en-suite shower.
- The double bedroom has a romantic roof window - perfect for star and moon gazing!.
- Beds are made up with Laura Ashley bedlinen and a cosy vintage patchwork quilt.
Ample parking is adjacent and the cottage has its own woodshed. A BBQ and outdoor furniture are both available on the outdoor deck. The road ends at the cottage and beyond the road there are beautiful scenic walks direct from your door.
Other Things to Note
- Note - Rose Cottage has low window ledges that are not suitable for children under 5 years.
- Owners Christine and John live in the Mill House on the 20 acres, and will happily supply you with vegetables grown onsite.
- We encourage recycling and you'll find a recycling area onsite.
- Well trained dogs are warmly welcomed (we are flexible on numbers). A choice of coast and country walks are in the surrounding area, with woodland walks and shared lawns in our 20 acres.
- Children and dogs will adore our Robin Hood land situated just down the valley.
- All bed linen, hot water, electric, eco cleaning supplies and logs for the woodburner are included.
- Cots and highchairs are available free on request.
- The cottage is the perfect retreat - we have no TVs or mobile phone signals.
- Radios, nature guides, a plentiful supply of books and games are all available.
Changeover day for weekly bookings is Friday to Friday. Short breaks (minimum 3 nights) are available at a fixed price all year round (except during school holidays)- contact us direct for details. Short break prices are based on 2 people staying for a 3 night break. Additional people are charged at £15 per night.
We have five cottages onsite available to book individually or together for larger groups of up to 23 guests, ideal for walking and activity groups and family gatherings.
Well trained dogs, horses, cats and other pets are welcome by prior arrangement - we can be flexible on the number of well behaved dogs. Please call us direct to discuss. Dogs are charged at £25 per dog per stay.
Around and About
Guests are welcome to fish in the onsite stream with seating adjacent or explore the surrounding woodland, wetland and valley. Cottages are just 8 miles from Dartmouth and Kingsbridge, and Slapton Sands beach, which is dog friendly all year round, is only minutes away. Slapton village also has some great dog friendly pubs!
- Watermill Cottages sit just 3 miles inland from the coastal village of Slapton in The South Hams Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, midway between Dartmouth and Kingsbridge.
- To find us head along the M5 to Exeter, and take the A38 for Plymouth. After the Ashburton turn-offs, look out for the A384 signed for Totnes. Take a left off the dual carriageway. On the approach to Totnes, at the lights take a right onto the A381 heading to Kingsbridge.
- Carry on through the villages of Harbertonford and Halwell. When you reach the BP garage at Halwell continue on the road round to the right heading towards Kingsbridge. Around 1 mile after the garage take a left for Slapton/ East Allington/ The Tower inn.
- Continue driving for around 4 miles on this road known as Five Mile Lane (note this road is narrow in parts with passing places). Signposts at crossroads are vertical. At Buckland Cross take a left signed for Gara Mill.
- After 500 yards at a T-junction with a house called Merrifield on your left. You've arrived at Merrifield Cross. Continue straight on this lane marked 'Farms only' at the junction sign. (note this is a narrow lane).
- Continue along this lane for around 1 1/2 miles, passing Hansel Cottage. Follow a sharp left bend and continue down to the river.
- The end of the lane is very rural - keep going straight ahead and you will see a Mill House and river.