At a Glance
- 10 guest rooms
- Dog friendly garden rooms
- Classic Edwardian villa
- Free WiFi & parking
- Award-winning breakfasts
- 4 Star Silver Award
- Tripadvisor Excellence Award
- Pool & patio
- Landscaped gardens
About The Charterhouse Guest Accommodation
A stunning 4 Star Edwardian villa B&B, The Charterhouse in Torquay includes an outdoor swimming pool and sits along the attractive Cockington Lane in one of the resort's most beautiful areas. The seafront and town centre amenities are just a short level stroll away and pretty Cockington village and Country Park are conveniently close. One well trained small dog is also welcome in either of our Garden Rooms by prior arrangement.
The guest house is a former gentleman's residence dating from 1907 and brimming with character, set within landscaped gardens. Hosts Marion and Les offer the warmest of welcomes, and award-winning locally sourced breakfasts are inclusive in your stay served in our Mediterranean style dining room. Free WiFi internet access and off road parking are also available.
- Ten rooms spread across four floors including 2 spacious family suites.
- Choose from 1 twin, 4 doubles, 1 family room with a double and 2 single beds and 2 family suites.
- Our large suites consist of 2 rooms - a double and twin room, and our Family Garden Room 9 has its own access with a patio and living areas all on one level.
- Garden Rooms are particularly suitable for our less mobile guests (please view our full access statement on our website).
- For that extra special stay opt for our Superior Room, a stylish king-size double room with garden and sea views through a large bay window or The Riviera Room, an extra spacious luxury room with double aspect window views of the sea and surrounding area. The Riviera Room has a luxury en-suite bathroom with mood lighting over the bath.
All rooms include:-
- En-suite shower rooms (a bath is available in the large family suite and The Riviera Room).
- Free WiFi and flat-screen TVs.
- Well stocked refreshment trays with bottled water (restocked daily).
- Fluffy soft towels and Egyptian cotton bed linen.
- Luxury Gilchrist & Soames Beekind toiletries.
One small well trained dog is welcome in either of our Garden Rooms by prior arrangement only and for a small additional fee. Please request when booking. Dogs are not permitted in any of our other bedrooms or in any of our public rooms.
Our award-winning, locally sourced breakfasts are a real treat served in our Mediterranean style dining room. During high season a buffet style breakfast is available, and in low season we serve individual breakfasts. Les' homemade marmalade and jams and Marion's homemade American pancakes are not to be missed! Breakfast selection includes:-
- Juices, yoghurt and cereals.
- Home-baked bread (baked daily).
- Cooked breakfast featuring tasty local honey roast pork sausages, dry cured West Country bacon from our local butcher and locally sourced free range eggs.
- Fruit breads, croissants and breads.
- Fresh fruit salads and fresh fruit selection.
- Smoked kippers and haddock (please pre-order).
- American pancakes (please pre-order).
- Special diets happily catered for with Gluten free, dairy intolerant and vegetarian breakfast options all available.
Facilities/ Public Areas
- Outdoor swimming pool and furnished patio area.
- Off road parking on a private gravel car park for 8/9 cars.
- Landscaped gardens.
- Reception area with public wc.
- Ground floor guest lounge.
- Non-smoking throughout.
Rooms are available from 2pm - please advise when booking of your arrival time. (no check-ins after 10pm please). Check-out is by 10.30am
A 3 night minimum stay usually applies during popular Bank Holidays in high season. Sorry no Stag and Hen parties please.
Around and About
- The seafront and beaches are only a 5 minute walk away, and we're a mere 15/20 minute level stroll from town centre bars, restaurants and amenities. Torquay and Babbacombe's many great attractions and activities are within easy reach including the marina, the Princess Theatre, pier and seafront and coastal zoo - Living Coasts.
- Pick up nearby bus, boat and steam train links to popular attractions and nearby locations including Babbacombe Model Village, Bygones, Paignton Pier, Dartmouth and Agatha Christie's historic home Greenway.
- Beautiful Saxon village Cockington and Cockington Country Park are only half a mile (13 minute walk) away, accessed via Cockington Lane or via a private path through the Water Meadows. (We're ideally placed as a base for wedding guests attending weddings at nearby Cockington!).
The Charterhouse is only around a 10 minute stroll from Torquay railway station and about 1.5 miles from the coach station (30 minute walk). A bus service is also conveniently nearby offering links to most local Riviera attractions.
Travelling from the M5 Exeter continue to Newton Abbot and Torquay, along the A380 and A3022, all the way to Torquay seafront. Once at the seafront take a right turn signposted for Cockington just after passing the Livermead House Hotel. We are about 75 yards further along. If you reach two mini roundabouts you have driven past The Charterhouse.
From the direction of Plymouth, follow signposts for Totnes and Paignton along the A38 and A385. On arrival in Paignton, take the A3022 towards Torquay and carry on past Hollicombe Park, The Corbyn Head Hotel and The Livermead Cliff Hotel. Take a left turn just before The Livermead House Hotel onto Cockington Lane. The Charterhouse is about 75 yards on, on the left.
A warm welcome - park just in our car park, or please do drive up the driveway to unload luggage.