At a Glance
- 8 cottages
- Open all year
- Sea 200 yards
- Sleep 2-8
- Watermouth Castle adjacent
- Large groups (up to 40)
- Midweek & weekend short breaks available off peak & at our discretion during peak season.
About these Holiday Cottages
Watermouth Cove Cottages are 8 charming traditional self-catering cottages set in tranquil grounds in a secluded valley adjacent to 150 year old Watermouth Castle, just 200 yards from the sea and coastal path. The properties are situated midway between Combe Martin and Ilfracombe on the North Devon Coast, within easy reach of Exmoor National Park. Formerly the coaching house and stables to Watermouth Castle, the cottages are enclosed within their own courtyard. Each cottage has a private patio area with outdoor furniture and a BBQ, and a stunning south facing garden is to the rear.
Cottages can sleep between 2 and 8 people and, across all properties, can accommodate large groups of up to forty - perfect for celebrations, gatherings, special events and reunions.
All properties feature full cooking facilities with ample crockery, a fridge with a top shelf freezer, (large cottages have larger fridge freezers), dishwashers and microwaves. Each cottage has a TV/DVD player in the lounge area. Most of the cottages have log-burning stoves. In winter these give a lovely cosy feeling to evenings when returning from a walk along the shore. To the rear of the properties there is a beautiful garden. Visitors can often spot foxes, rabbits, woodpeckers and jays. Badgers have also been seen late at night.
- Smugglers Cove - sleeps 8 - a large single storey cottage, our largest cottage, with a spacious lounge and cosy log fire (logs provided), a colour TV, DVD and great views of the castle and lake. Three bedrooms include a four poster bedroom and 2 twins, plus there is a double bed settee available. A separate kitchen includes a microwave, cooker, dishwasher and a fridge/ freezer. A dining area, separate entrance porch, patio and BBQ. An ideal cottage for families and large groups.
- Seaspray Cottage - sleeps 6 - a ground floor cottage with a double and twin bedroom plus 1 bunk bedroom and a bathroom. The kitchen/ dining area contains a microwave, cooker and a dishwasher. A divided lounge area features a colour TV/DVD and the lounge has wooden panelling. This cottage is nice and bright with a south facing bay window featuring seats overlooking the courtyard and a private patio with BBQ.
- Driftwood Cottage - sleeps 4 - a single storey cottage with living space all on the ground floor. Lounge with a TV and DVD player, dining area and a fully fitted modern kitchen with a dishwasher, microwave and a cooker. Four poster double bedroom and 1 accessible twin bedroom, bathroom with an electric Mira shower and a wc. Unloading can be done directly adjacent to this property which has a bay window looking across to the courtyard and a private patio with BBQ.
- Seashell Cottage - Sleeps 4 - a spacious ground floor cottage with pretty French doors out to a garden and patio area with a BBQ. Rustic wooden panelling is in the lounge/ kitchen area and facilities include a TV, DVD and a cosy log fire (logs provided). The kitchen has a cooker, dishwasher and a microwave. A dining area and bathroom with shower are also available. Seashell can be booked with adjoining Driftwood to sleep larger groups of up to 8 guests.
- Seadrift Cottage - sleeps 4 - a detached 2 bed cottage with feature large arched doors out to the garden and patio area with a BBQ. This cottage was formerly part of the castle stables and retains its beamed ceiling and exposed brickwork. The interior has a rustic and romantic feel, ideal for couples and small family groups. Living space includes a four poster bedroom, 1 bunk bedroom, a bathroom with a shower and wc and a lounge with a log fire, a TV and DVD. A dining area is available along with a fitted kitchen containing a microwave, dishwasher and a cooker.
- Sandpiper Cottage - sleeps 6 - with a lounge containing a TV, DVD and a log fire (starter logs included). Fitted kitchen with a cooker, microwave, dishwasher and all essentials. Four poster bedroom, 1 twin and 1 bunk bedroom, plus a new shower with electric Mira shower and wc. Sandpiper has a unique carved wooden divider between the lounge and the kitchen (an original feature retained from the stables). There are no steps in this property, and Sandpiper sits just above Driftwood Cottage.
- Tidesreach Cottage - sleeps 4 - a first floor cottage with 1 bunk bedroom and a double divan. Fitted kitchen/ dining area featuring a dishwasher, microwave, a cooker and all accessories. Lounge with TV, DVD and log fire (welcome log basket included). Bathroom with a shower and wc. The lounge has double aspect windows with castle and lake views. Book Tidesreach together with adjacent Beachcomber cottage to accommodate larger groups of up to 8.
- Beachcomber Cottage - sleeps 4 - a first floor cottage with a fully fitted modern kitchen/ dining area containing a microwave, a dishwasher and a cooker. Lounge with TV, DVD, log fire with a starter basket of logs, a bathroom with a wc and shower, a four poster double bedroom and a twin bedroom. Exposed beams and a double aspect window are in the lounge with views of the courtyard and woodland in the distance.
Other Things to Note
- There is a laundry room with free use of a washing machine and coin operated tumble dryer.
- A pay phone is available onsite.
- Well trained dogs and other pets are welcome
- Bed linen is included - please bring along your own towels.
- Electricity is by £1 coin metres. Night storage heating is free, included in booking.
- Cots and highchairs are available free on request - please bring along your own cot linen.
Out of season short weekend breaks for other durations are always available. These are extremely popular for those seeking a restful break to "recharge their batteries".
Cottages are available all year Open for Christmas and New Year.
Midweek and weekend breaks are available off peak and during peak season subject to availability - Please call us direct for more information on pricing and availability.
Around and About
A local pub, The Old Sawmill, is within a 5 to 10 minute walk of the cottages and offers real ales and pub grub. Nearby Watermouth Cove Yacht Club also welcomes guests in their bar on Friday and Saturday evenings. The excellent Sandy Bay Hotel with restaurant open to the public is only a few minutes' drive away. Fine ales and home cooked food are also available at Ye Olde Globe in Berrynarbor.
Two miles in either direction are the resorts of Combe Martin (with a CAMRA recommended pub, The Castle) and Ilfracombe with a variety of pubs and restaurants, including Chinese, Indian and Italian. The cottages are ideally located for leisurely beach and coastal walks, cycling, watersports and children's activities.
Getting to Watermouth Cove - via the M5 leaving the motorway at junction 27 and taking the A361, the North Devon Link road (NDL), towards Barnstaple. After passing the roundabouts for Tiverton and South Molton, at the 'Little Chef roundabout' turn right onto the A399, signposted Combe Martin, Ilfracombe, Lynton and Lynmouth. At this junction there is a brown leisure signpost to Watermouth Castle, 17 miles away. [EX34 9SJ].