At a Glance
- Beautiful period property
- 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms
- Idyllic location, lake 300 yards
- Open fire
- ITV drama 'Safe House' filmed here
- Perfect for families & groups of friends
- Secure bike storage
About this Holiday Cottage
Thwaite Cottage is an exquisite whitewashed holiday home perfect for large family groups or friends sharing and for couples. The house dates from the 1500s and is peacefully situated on the the edge of Coniston Water. Views look across to Grizedale Forest, Coniston Old Man and the village. Inside, living space is brimming with character features such as window seats in bedrooms, period fireplaces and shuttered windows. The grounds were regularly visited by John Ruskin - his historic home Brantwood sits just across the lake. A country cottage style kitchen caters for all your self-catering needs and a selection of village inns, shops and restaurants are within easy walking distance.
Ground floor living areas include:-
- Character Lakeland entrance porch, with slate floor and seating.
- Sitting room with leather sofas, upholstered chairs, an open log fire, colour TV and DVD, and a collection of DVDs, books and board and other games.
Large kitchen, fully-fitted with a tall larder fridge, microwave, double electric oven and hob and dishwasher.
Dining room with a period fireplace, window seat and shutters and a dining table for 8.
Utility room with freezer, washing machine, tumble drier and extra pantry space.
Bedrooms / Bathrooms/ Sun Room
The landing leads up to four double bedrooms on the first floor:-
- Bedroom 1, with double bed and adjacent bathroom with shower and wc.
- Bedroom 2, with super king size bed or two 3ft twin single beds plus adjacent bathroom with shower and wc.
- Bedroom 3, with double bed, en suite shower room and wc.
- Bedroom 4, with a king size or two 2ft 6 twin beds and adjacent bathroom with shower and separate wc.
- Sunroom/studio with colour TV and DVD.
- Extensive enclosed private grounds with lawns, patio and woods.
- Steep slate steps to a covered stone “Lookout” with bench and high views to the lake and forest (please tread with care).
- Garden furniture and BBQ stand.
- Covered secure storage for bicycles and equipment.
- 300 yards from the lake.
Other Things to Note
- Bed linen, electricity, Wi-Fi, oil-fired central heating and initial logs for the fire.
- Towels, travel cot, stairgate and high chair available to hire.
- Gravelled parking for numerous cars.
- Pets welcome.
Short breaks (minimum 3 nights) available. Pets charged at £25 per dog.
Around and About
- Coniston Water 300 yards - boat trips and water based activities
- Short walk from Coniston village amenities
- Brantwood - John Ruskin's historic home