At a Glance
- 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms
- Stunning Georgian property
- Lawn garden & parking
- Pub within 1 mile
- Cycle storage
About this Holiday Cottage
A finalist for 'Self-catering Property of the Year' 2017 Cumbria Tourism Awards!', the Gate House in Coniston village is a spectacular Georgian property which has just undergone a stunning refurbishment. Owners Jane and Simon have lovingly restored this spacious Georgian home, retaining original historic features. This beautiful retreat sleeping up to 8 is perfect for families, friends sharing, romantics and lovers of the great outdoors.
The house has links with the 19th century family who developed the Coppermines in this area of the Lake District and it was the early 20th Century home of acclaimed Lake District artist Alfred Heaton Cooper who called the property 'Sondheim'. The owners have ensured many works by Cooper are displayed on the cottage walls, and the property has wonderful country views of open fields to the front and the bubbling Church Beck at the rear.
Ground Floor Living Space
- Grand entrance porch which is a functional area with seating, boot and coat storage space.
- Opulent living space with a selection of inviting rooms.
- Three comfortable living areas all brimming with character features, woodburner stoves, cosy seating and the latest modern facilities.
- Reading room with woodburner and front garden views.
- A smaller sitting room ideal for children containing a Smart TV with Freesat, Blu Ray DVD player, PlayStation and a woodburner.
- Spacious house sitting room with a woodburner, Smart TV with FreeSat and a Blu Ray DVD player.
- Large kitchen and dining area at the rear of the house.
- The kitchen has superb views of the paved rear garden and up Church Beck to woodland beyond.
- Kitchen facilities include a Belfast sink, a large range cooker, a fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine and a tumble dryer.
- Small separate WC positioned just inside the back door.
First Floor Bedrooms / Bathrooms
- Four beautifully stylied bedrooms and 4 en-suite bathrooms/showers on the first floor up a Georgian staircase.
- Two stunning king size double rooms are at the front of the house, a twin room is to the side and a further king-size double is to the rear.
- All bedrooms have Smart TVs with FreeSat, fabulous views and exquisite furnishings, whilst en-suite bathrooms retain a Georgian style.
- Bedroom 1 - a king-size double with en-suite bathroom containing a freestanding bath, a waterfall walk-in shower, wc and wash basin. This bedroom has a view of the village and a field.
- Bedroom 2 - a king-size double with en-suite shower room containing a waterfall walk-in shower, wash basin and wc. This room also has village and field views.
- Bedroom 3 - a twin with 2 single beds and an en-suite shower room featuring a waterfall walk-in shower, wc and wash basin. This room has woodland views.
- The front and rear gardens enjoy the sun for most of the day.
- The front garden has two cosy grassed areas ideal for a picnic whilst the rear garden with views of the Beck and fields is paved with local slate and has wrought iron outdoor furniture ideal for alfresco drinks and dining.
- Ample parking is adjacent to the house and secure bike storage is to the rear. A gravelled car parking area has parking for 3 cars and a further parking area to the front has parking space for 2 cars.
Facilities/ Further Information
Gas central heating, a starter supply of logs for woodburners, WiFi, towels and bed linen are all included.
A maximum of 2 well trained pets are welcome (sorry no cats please).
No stag and hen parties, and please note the house is attached to two smaller residential properties.
Available to hire
Travel cot and high chair.
Around and About
The Gate House is only 800 yards from the nearest pub and shop. Public transport links are just 1000 yards away.
Coniston is an excellent base for exploring the Lake District and for outdoor enthusiasts. Local activities include everything from watersports and fishing to fantastic walking, climbing and cycling in nearby Grizedale Forest.
Keen runners will be familar with the Lakeland Trail series which comes to Coniston annually and features a 5k and 10k marathon and half marathon.
Enjoy a leisurely boat trip on Coniston Water and take a tour of The Ruskin Museum in the village, and the Ruskin's lakeside historic home Brantwood.