At a Glance
- 9 beautifully appointed rooms
- Cyclists & walkers welcome
- Wedding receptions
- Georgian farmhouse built in 1762
- 1 acre garden with Castle views
- Free WiFi in all rooms
- Short stroll from town centre
- Farmhouse breakfast included
About Bongate House Bed and Breakfast
Bongate House is a charming Georgian farmhouse bed and breakfast situated on the edge of Appleby in Westmorland, in the heart of the Eden Valley. We are a mere 15 miles from the Lake District National Park, and the Teesdale Durham Dales, the Yorkshire Dales and North Pennines AONB are right on our doorstep.
Appleby’s historic market town centre with its fine selection of inns, shops, cafes, restaurants and galleries is within easy walking distance, and there are wonderful views of the River Eden and Appleby Castle (now fully reopen to the public) from our one acre garden.
Built around 1762, our spacious farmhouse has been sympathetically refurbished, retaining all its old Georgian farmhouse charm with the addition of modern comforts such as free WiFi available in all rooms.
- Nine guest rooms include a mix of double, twin and single rooms, all decorated to a high standard with tea and coffee making facilities, TVs and free WiFi. Six of the rooms include en-suite facilities. Families are happily accommodated in some rooms, with cots available on request.
- Luxury Room:- For that special romantic escape or extra touch of luxury, choose our luxury room – a super king-size double with zip and link beds which can be configured as a twin if preferred. This room also has a large balcony with views across our one acre garden.
- Accessible Room:- A ground floor en-suite room, either a twin or a super king-size double, with its own sitting area is ideal of our less mobile guests.
Our farmhouse breakfasts are fully inclusive in your stay, and breakfast is served in our attractive dining room.
Evening meals can be provided upon request.
- Residents Lounge:- Guests are welcome to relax in the bright and spacious communal lounge with feature fireplace, large Widescreen TV with Freeview Channels, a DVD player and ample comfortable seating.
- One acre garden:- The perfect spot to relax on warmer days. The garden contains old box hedges, a raised pond with gold fish and patios with seating. Take a stroll to the end of the garden for spectacular views of the River Eden and Appleby Castle with its rare intact Norman Keep.
- Other facilities:- Free parking, laundry services and pets are welcome by request.
Planning a wedding reception? Our beautiful one acre garden offers ample space for marquee set up. Please do contact us direct to discuss your requirements.
We’re also ideally placed accommodation for guests attending weddings, conferences and events at Appleby Castle just a short walk away from our Georgian B&B.
Local Attractions & Activities
- Appleby Castle – the historic castle home of Lady Anne Clifford, now fully reopened for public tours, conferences, weddings and events.
- Local golf – visitors are welcome at Appleby Golf Club.
- Appleby town centre - Bongate House is a short stroll from Appleby’s beautiful main street Boroughgate. The market town’s centre is brimming with specialist shops, restaurants and fine inns including The Royal Oak serving excellent food and drink.
- The Settle-Carlisle Railway passes through Appleby en-route to Carlisle.
- Acorn Bank Garden (National Trust) is within easy driving distance.
- Lakes, Dales & Pennines Touring Base - Bongate House offers easy access onto the A66 and is the perfect base for exploring the Eden Valley, the Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales, the Durham Dales, the North Pennines and Hadrian’s Wall Country. A wealth of walking and cycling opportunities surround us.
From the M6 (northbound): Turn off at Junction 38 and follow signs to Appleby (B6260). When you arrive at the top of the hill, follow the road down and over the river bridge to a T junction. Turn right (B6542), continue past a bowling green and Bongate House is the first house on the top of the hill on your right hand side.
From the M6 (southbound): Turn off at junction 40 and on to the A66. Follow the sign for Appleby and then turn off at the bypass junction. Follow the road round and down to the river. Continue past the the bowling green on the right and Bongate House is the first house at the top of the hill on the right hand side.
From the A66 (westbound): When you join the Appleby bypass, take the turning to the B6542. Bongate House is exactly one and a half miles down the road on the left hand side.