At a Glance
- 51 guest rooms
- AA Rosette restaurant
- Tripadvisor Excellence Award
- Conference rooms for 2 to 140
- Indoor pool, splash pool & squash
- Beauty rooms, Jacuzzi & saunas
- Free parking for 50 cars
- Civil wedding Licence
- Themed breaks
About The Crown Hotel
A multi award-winning hotel near Carlisle and Hadrian's Wall, The Crown Hotel in Wetheral village is surrounded by beautiful landscaped gardens, and easily accessed a mere 2 miles off the M6, Junctions 42 or 43. In-house leisure facilities include a large indoor pool, and delicious locally sourced cuisine is served in the Conservatory Restaurant with an AA Rosette award. Exceptional service comes as standard, with a choice of luxury rooms and suites perfect for business or leisure. In addition to our 5 star AA accolade, we're a consecutive Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence award-winner and one of Carlisle most popular wedding and conference venues.
The hotel has 51 guest rooms all with ensuite bathrooms, shaver points, free high speed WiFi, refreshment trays with tea and coffee making facilities, flat-screen satellite TV, a hair dryer, trouser press, direct dial telephone, radio alarm clock, room safe, sewing kit and shoeshine cloth. Room choice includes:-
- Classic country style rooms - single, twin, double, triple and family rooms with bunk beds. Some of our Classic Rooms also have space for a Z-bed or cot. A limited number of ground and lower floor rooms are available - please request when booking.
- Family rooms - with a double bed and bunk beds. Children from 6 to 10 years only on top bunks, and a maximum age of 10 years on bottom bunks. Bunk beds also fold back affording space for a Z-bed.
- Four Poster rooms - inclusive of an Executive Pack with chocolate, bottled water, DVD player, fine toiletries and a DVD player. Perfect for that romantic escape near Hadrian's Wall.
- Executive rooms - also with an Executive Pack, and some with balconies overlooking the landscaped gardens. Executive rooms are conveniently situated in the same area and the hotel's function room.
- Suite - two luxury suites including The Crown Suite (a stunning Bridal Suite with extensive garden views) and The Warwickholme Suite. Both feature their own lounge areas, bathrooms with Jacuzzis and Executive Packs.
- Cottage - for guests needing that extra space, out two luxury cottage apartments (1 or 2 bedrooms) - Inglewood and Willow are situated within the grounds and include full use of all hotel facilities.
- The Conservatory Restaurant has been awarded an AA Rosette and guests can enjoy wonderful locally sourced cuisine and scenic views over the landscaped gardens.
- Breakfast is served from 7am to 9.30am weekdays and from 8am to 10am on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Two and three course lunches which are served from Midday to 2pm and dinner (also two or three courses) is available from 7pm to 9.30pm Monday to Saturday and 7pm to 8.45pm on Sundays.
- Less formal dining is available in Walton's Bar which serves food throughout the day and guests can also pre-book for our delicious afternoon tea.
- The McLaren Room and The Terrace are ideal for private dining events of up to 25 diners and larger parties are welcome in our Garden Suite.
- Enjoy a superb romantic dining experience in our Garden gazebo with stunning views over the viaduct and beyond.
- Leisure club with 12 metre indoor pool, Jacuzzi, two fully equipped gyms, sauna and steam room.
- Squash courts with rackets available for hire.
- Children's splash pool, Saturday morning kids club.
- Beauty salon with a range of treatments available.
- Fitness classes such as Pilates, Zumba and spinning.
- Leisure Club refreshments and swim wear shop.
Conference, Event & Party Venue
- The perfect conference and event venue near Carlisle just off the M6 and a short stroll from the station.
- A choice of meeting rooms for 2 to 140 delegates with adjacent syndicate/break out rooms, all with complimentary WiFi.
- 24 hour and day delegate rates available inclusive of Leisure Club use.
- Extensive audio-visual equipment - flip charts, pens, LCD projector and screen, TVs, DVDs and conference telephone call facility.
- Special themed events and tailor-made entertainment happily arranged on request.
- Celebrate special occasions or the festive season in style - The Crown is a perfect party venue offering super entertainment, a range of party food packages and first class service.
- A variety of rooms including a beautiful outdoor Gazebo, holding parties from 20 to 150, all with a Civil Wedding licence for Civil Ceremonies.
- Complete wedding packages featuring floral decorations, special accommodation rates for your wedding guests, Bridal Suite with full Cumbrian Breakfast and one month free membership to the leisure club for the Bride and Groom.
- Wedding breakfasts, evening buffets, BBQs and English Wedding Teas - discover more in our full wedding brochure available on our website.
- Intimate Signature Weddings for a minimum of 10 guests and a maximum of 20, uniquely designed wedding packages in The McLaren Room.
- Well trained dogs are welcome by request (please advise when booking) in a selection of bedrooms for a small extra charge of £10 per dog per night, inclusive of a dog bed with a blanket and dog treats.
- Dogs are also welcome in Walton's Bar, but not in public areas of the hotel.
- We request owners keep dogs on leads at all times across the hotel and within the grounds.
- Further information on visiting with dogs is detailed on our website.
All our guest rooms are available for single occupancy and rates include a full Cumbrian breakfast and use of the leisure facilities.
Local Attractions & Themed Packages
- The Crown Hotel is your perfect base for exploring the ancient border city of Carlisle, the Northern Lake District and nearby Hadrian's Wall World Heritage Site.
- In the Northern Lakes - Bassenthwaite, Skiddaw, Keswick, Derwentwater and Cockermouth are all a short drive away.
- The Scottish Borders - Dumfries, Castle Douglas and the Solway Firth coast are just on our doorstep.
- Browse our wide range of themed and festive packages on our website ranging from Christmas Shopping Breaks and Pamper Spa Packages to Walking and Racing Packages.
- We're perfect for golfing breaks with 3 outstanding golf courses only a short drive from the hotel. Special room rates are available for golfing groups booking 8 or 9 rooms or more - call us direct for more information.
From the M6 Travelling North - Leave the M6 at Junction 42. At the roundabout at the top of the slip road, take the third exit, the B6263, signed Wetheral. Stay on this road for about two miles, passing through Cumwhinton, until you reach Wetheral.
Just after the village green, turn right by the general store. Take the next left turn into the hotel car park
From the M6 Travelling South - Leave M6 at Junction 43. At the roundabout at the top of the slip road, take the A69 towards Brampton and Newcastle. After about three quarters of a mile, turn right onto the B6263 to Wetheral. Once in the village, turn left at the village store, before the village green. Take next left into the hotel car park.
Rail - The Crown Hotel is only a couple of minutes walk from Wetheral train station, which is on the Main Carlisle - Newcastle Line. Transport from Carlisle Station can be arranged with prior notification.
Bus - The Hotel is situated just around the corner from the local bus route which runs on an hourly basis to and from Carlisle. Please do ask at reception for the exact times.
Air - Transport from Newcastle Airport can be arranged. Prices are available on request.