At a Glance
- 17 luxury cottages
- Indoor pool & tennis
- Free WiFi
- Weddings & events
- Some dog friendly cottages
- Play area & activity field
- Games room
- Facilities for horses
- Croquet & boules
About Greenwood Grange Cottages
A multi award-winning cottage complex, Greenwood Grange sits in the heart of Dorset's Hardy Country, mere yards from Hardy's birthplace cottage at Higher Bockhampton and within easy reach of Dorchester. An eco-friendly complex perfect for wedding parties and events, we're a unique venue in an idyllic rural setting. Surrounding buildings were built during the time of Thomas Hardy's father in the 19th century.
We have a collection of 17 luxury cottages sleeping from 2 to 12 guests, available all year round. During your stay you'll have full use of our extensive onsite facilities including a superb indoor swimming pool, a games room (seasonal), badminton, croquet and for the kids a children's play area along with activity field featuring a play yurt. Numerous walking opportunities surround us in 66 acres of mixed woodland and heath in Thorncombe Wood.
Choose from 17 luxury cottages sleeping 2 to 12 guests. Perfect for families and couples, or book together for large wedding parties, events, family gatherings or conference/ business accommodation.
A selection of our cottages are pet friendly including Abbotsea sleeping 2, Kingsbere and Anglebury sleeping 3, Henchard sleeping 12, and Wessex, Melstock and Sandbourne all sleeping 4.
Cottages range from cosy escapes for two to spacious detached cottages with 3 bedrooms or more - ideal for large family groups with bunk bedrooms, family bathrooms and ample comfy seating for all the family.
Each cottage is fully equipped with self-catering essentials including:
- Fitted kitchens with ovens and hobs, microwaves, usually dishwashers, fridge, freezer and all kitchen accessories.
- Private gardens.
- Cots available.
- En-suite showers and modern bathrooms.
- Luxury furnishings, fixtures and fittings throughout.
- Some with BBQs.
- Sitting rooms with flat-screen TVs and DVD players.
- Many cottages come with cosy woodburners.
- Our larger properties have utility rooms with washing machines, tumble dryers, cloakrooms and access out to the garden.
- Children's play area and activity field with play yurt filled with toys
- Indoor swimming pool
- Croquet, badminton and games room
- Enclosed dog walking area onsite
- Composting system
- Free range chickens
- Facilities for horses (including parking for horse boxes and trailers) - feel free to bring along your own horse
- We're great for festive gatherings and family celebrations - why not join us for a Christmas break with family or friends
- Ask us about Shed's famous gardening club held weekly if you're staying during the school holidays.
- Green Tourism Gold
- Dorset Tourism Awards 2014 - Gold
- Enjoy England 5 Star Award
- Browse our great reviews - we're recommended on TripAdvisor
Changeover day is usually a Friday or Saturday. Cottages are available for short breaks off peak. Dogs are welcome in designated cottages including Abbotsea, Anglebury, Kingsbere, Mellstock, Sandbourne, Henchard and Wessex for a small extra charge of £25 per dog.
Wedding Receptions, Events & Conference
- Accommodation at Greenwood Grange is ideal for large parties and family gatherings. Although Greenwood Grange is not licensed for Wedding Ceremonies, several nearby venues are.
- We're ideal as group party accommodation with spacious gardens offering ample space for marquee set up, outdoor BBQs and cottage gourmet dinners.
- Ample parking is onsite along with leisure facilities.
- We have links with a number of quality local suppliers and caterers - please do ask our team for assistance on organisation if required. Our only restriction due to our rural setting is no fireworks please.
- Conferences are happily catered for - whether small or large. Henchard will hold up to 30 delegates and our spacious gardens are perfect for team building activities. Visit our website for more information on all our facilities for parties and gatherings.
Local Attractions/ Recommended Eateries & Caterers
- Hardy's Cottage is just yards away (a 5 minute walk!).
- Dorchester with its choice of fine inns, restaurants, museums and tours is within easy driving distance.
- The World Heritage Jurassic Coast is only a few miles from us.
- Our favourite nearby earteries include The Wise Man at West Stafford, our nearest pub a 5 minute drive away. Pre-booking recommended.
- Other great places to eat and drink nearby include The Blue Vinny at Puddletown, The Frampton Arms at Moreton and award-winning restaurant Yalbury Cottage at Lower Bockhampton serving the finest locally sourced Dorset produce.
- We have a selection of menus from excellent local takeaways, and can recommend fine caterers for private dining/ BBQs and cream teas - please just ask if you need any assistance with organising.
- Dorset's Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty with a variety of walks, cycle and nature trails surrounds us.
- Great family attractions in the area include the Dinosaur Museum and Teddy Bear Museum both in Dorchester.
- Nearby activities range from bike hire including electric bike hire, treasure trails, horse riding, fishing and zorbing to clay pigeon shooting and go karting.
Our nearest railway stations are Dorchester South and West. Dorchester South has regular rail services from London Waterloo (journey time 2 1/2 hours). Pick up taxis from the station direct to Greenwood Grange).
By car we're easily reached via the A35 to the east of Dorchester. Follow signs for Higher Bockhampton and Hardy's Cottage - our postcode is DT2 8QH - we look forward to welcoming you to Hardy Country.