* * * * * National Railway Heritage Award Winners (2011) - Best Restored Railway Station * * * * *
At a Glance
- Two en-suite bedrooms
- Romantic bathrooms
- Tavistock & Dartmoor views
- Short breaks
- Original Victorian features
- Private platform patio
About The Porter's Office Luxury Cottage
Offering a unique holiday experience, The Porter's Office is a luxurious railway cottage conversion, formerly the Ladies Waiting Room and other areas of old Tavistock Railway Station. Classic original features include a beautiful Victorian fireplace, wooden beamed ceilings and a private platform patio with original roof and outdoor seating, a top spot for summer al fresco drinks and dining. The property boasts magnificent views over the market town of Tavistock and Dartmoor beyond. Short breaks are available throughout the year and free WiFi and ample onsite parking are included.
- A traditional Victorian styled lounge with high ceilings, wooden beams, comfortable sofas, an open fire place, LCD flatscreen TV with Freeview channels, a DVD player and stunning views over Tavistock and the surrounding countryside.
- Classic country kitchen diner with an electric oven, integrated grill, gas hob, refrigerator, dishwasher, washing machine and fridge freezer. A solid wooden round table seats four and the kitchen has double door access onto the platform patio.
Bedrooms / Bathrooms
- Bedrooms are situated on different levels.
- The downstairs double room was formerly a ladies waiting room with an original fireplace, modern wet room en-suite and cast iron slipper bath.
- The upstairs double has a shower en-suite and zip and link bed which can be presented as twin beds.
- Both bedrooms have full furnishings including wardrobes and chest of drawers.
Double doors from the kitchen lead out to the renovated station platform complete with its original roof. There is outdoor seating for four making the platform a great area for al fresco dining with countryside views.
- Bed linen and towels are provided.
- A cot, high chair and stairgate are available on request.
Champagne, flowers, wine or hampers of organic local produce are all available for that extra special occasion. Please contact us for more information or to make an enquiry.
Short breaks are available throughout the year depending on availability of the property. Please note short breaks are from Monday to Friday, and Friday to Monday only.
Group bookings:- Book The Porter's Office Cottage in conjunction with the adjacent Ticketing Hall Cottage to accommodate up to 8 guests and 2 cots. The platform garden areas can be opened up to make one large patio.
Around and About
The charming market town of Tavistock is the perfect central Devon base for exploring. It's a great gateway into Dartmoor and surrounded by quaint villages brimming with fine inns and excellent places to dine including Michelin Star restaurants.
Walking, cycling, fishing and pony trekking are all widely available in the local area, and best beaches on the Devon coast are within an easy drive.
- At the end of the southbound M5 take the A30, signposted Okehampton/Bodmin. Travel along the A30 for approximately 27 miles/43km.
- After the Okehampton junction take the next exit, the A386 to Tavistock.
- Travel across Dartmoor for 13 miles/21km passing through the hamlets of Lake, Lydford and Mary Tavy.
- Upon entering Tavistock, Kelly College is located on the right hand side.
- Proceed along the A386. At the mini roundabout keep left, taking the first exit onto Dolvin Road. A cemetery is on the left.
- At the next roundabout take the second exit, crossing the River Tavy, then keep to the right hand side.
- Go straight over the mini roundabout into Bedford Square. At the next mini roundabout take the second exit, straight over, heading up the hill on Drake Road.
- After 200 metres/220 yards pass under a railway viaduct. 15 metres/16 yards later turn sharply right and immediately right again, passing under the viaduct once again and entering Quant Park.
- Old Tavistock Railway Station can be found 100 metres/110 yards ahead, at the end of the road.