* * * * * National Railway Heritage Award Winners (2011) - Best Restored Railway Station * * * * *
At a Glance
- 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
- Original ticket windows
- Tripadvisor Hall of Fame
- Tavistock & Dartmoor views
- Short breaks
- Vaulted ceilings
- Original Victorian features
- Private platform patio
- Multi award-winning
About The Ticketing Hall Luxury Cottage
Nestled above Tavistock and Dartmoor within a former railway station, The Ticketing Hall is an award-winning cottage spectacularly renovated from the old ticket office of Tavistock station. Truly unique 5 Star accommodation is furnished and presented to the highest standard throughout featuring enchanting original Victorian features including original panelling and ticket windows, now the wall separating the lounge and kitchen diner.
The Ticketing Hall sleeps four guests with ease, plus space for a cot. The location is idyllic with views of Dartmoor from the private patio garden. The station itself is steeped in history, dating back to the Victorian era and retaining many of its original features. Available all year for short breaks, The Ticketing Hall is one of two luxury railway cottages with facilities including free Wi-Fi and ample parking onsite.
- Enjoy the unique blend of modern luxuries and Victorian period features throughout the cottage including the original wood panelling wall and ticket windows which remain as a feature wall between the lounge and kitchen.
- The lounge has leather sofas, Victorian furnishings and an open fire for the winter months.
- The room has an LCD flat screen TV with DVD player and Freeview channels.
- Fully equipped for self catering the traditional kitchen/breakfast room has a dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge and freezer.
- There is also a dining table with seating for four and double doors which open out to the station platform.
Bedrooms / Bathrooms
- The two bedrooms are set under vaulted ceilings with skylights allowing for plenty of natural lighting.
- The front master bedroom is a double room with allocated space for a cot if needed.
- The second bedroom is a twin room with the addition of a wet room en-suite.
- A bathroom on the ground floor has a cast iron double bath, a separate Mira ‘Fino’ shower and low level lighting for relaxation.
On the platform there is a private outdoor area for the cottage complete with outdoor furnishings. There is also a small grass area to the front of the property.
- Bed linen and towels are inclusive.
- A cot, high chair and stair gate are all available on request.
- Free WiFi and parking
- For those staying at the station for a special occasion, we can supply champagne, wine, flowers or an organic hamper of local produce.
Weekend and midweek breaks are throughout the year depending on accommodation availability.
Group bookings are available in the Ticketing Hall and neighbouring Porters Office cottage for up to 8 guests with 2 cots. The platform can be opened up to make one large outdoor patio for both cottages.
Around and About
Tavistock is a beautiful market town on the South West edge of Dartmoor National Park around 15 miles from Plymouth. The town is an ideal base to explore Devon and is just a short drive from quiet bays and surfing beaches, woodland, waterfalls and moorland walks.
The surrounding area boasts exceptional Michelin starred restaurants, organic cafes and traditional pubs serving hearty meals. Activities including pony trekking, glider flights, go karting and cycling are widely available in the local area – ideal for families or couples.
- At the end of the southbound M5 take the A30, signposted Okehampton/Bodmin. Travel along the A30 for approximately 27 miles/43 km’s.
- After the Okehampton junction take the next exit, the A386 to Tavistock.
- Travel across Dartmoor for 13 miles (21km) passing through the hamlets of Lake, Lydford and Mary Tavy. Upon entering Tavistock, Kelly College is located on the right hand side.
- Proceed along the A386. At the mini roundabout keep left, taking the first exit onto Dolvin Road. A cemetery is on the left.
- At the next roundabout take the second exit, crossing the River Tavy, then keep to the right hand side.
- Go straight over the mini roundabout into Bedford Square.
- At the next mini roundabout take the second exit, straight over, heading up the hill on Drake Road.
- After 200 metres/220 yards pass under a railway viaduct. 15 metres/16 yards later turn sharply right and immediately right again, passing under the viaduct once again and entering Quant Park.
- Old Tavistock Railway Station can be found 100 metres/110 yards ahead, at the end of the road.